CAN WE KEEP KIDS SAFE? (With Mastic area reeling from attacks and ‘bursting’ with offenders, residents try to form battle plan)
Long-standing concerns about the number of sex offenders in the Mastic area surfaced amongparents, civic leaders and school officials yesterday, one day after a William Floyd High Schoolstudent was sexually assaulted less than three blocks from school. The attack, the second in oneweek, prompted fresh worries and a more urgent dialogue from some community members about how toensure the safety of children beyond school bounds in a district where dozens of registered sexoffenders reside. At least 85 registered sex offenders live in the district, which comprisesMastic, Mastic Beach, Moriches and Shirley according to a partial registry available atparentsformeganslaw.com.
TIPS FOR WALKING SAFELY TO SCHOOL
- Find an easy way to school or the bus stop.
- Use intersections with crossing guards.
- Always walk with someone else.
- Don't take shortcuts.
- Stay away from parks and vacant lots.
- Don't talk to strangers.
- Don't go anywhere with strangers.
- Don't take anything from strangers.
- Know your phone number and address.
Sources: National Crime Prevention Council, National Center for Missing and ExploitedChildren
Comments are closed.