TWO NEW LAWSUITS CLAIM SEX ABUSE AT MCQUAID JESUIT HIGH SCHOOL
July 21, 2020
(WHAM) - Two Jesuit priests and a teacher are accused of sexually abusing former students at McQuaid Jesuit High School in the 1970s and 1980s, according to lawsuits filed in New York.
Attorneys with the law firm of Jeff Anderson & Associates filed 14 child sexual abuse lawsuits Monday under the Child Victims Act (CVA) against the Society of Jesus USA Northeastern Province (Jesuits). The Child Victims Act, signed into law in August 2019, provides a one-year window for survivors of child sexual abuse to file civil lawsuits against their alleged abusers to seek justice.
The lawsuits allege Father Harry Untereiner, Father James Curry, and teacher John Tobin sexually abused children at McQuaid. The allegations against Untereiner and Tobin claim the abuse happened between 1978 and 1980, while Curry is alleged to have abused a minor from 1974 to 1977.
The survivors were between the ages of 14 and 17 at the time of the abuse, according to the lawsuits.
“These courageous survivors join hundreds of others who have chosen to bring suit under the Child Victims Act. As the one-year window to bring a claim in New York closes, these survivors are looking for validation, accountability and transparency so that children are better protected in the future,” said attorney Trusha Goffe.
The deadline to file a claim under the Child Victims Act is August 13, 2020.
So far, there have been more than 120 lawsuits filed in Monroe County alone.
In a statement responding to the lawsuits, McQuaid Jesuit President Philip G. Judge said they are aware of the claims that are alleged to have happened more than 40 years ago.
"McQuaid is committed to providing a safe environment for its students and will cooperate fully with any legal proceedings to ensure justice and healing for victims," Judge said.
Message from Executive Director Laura A. Ahearn: Please visit our website at www.crimevictimscenter.org for news, information and resources in your community.